As an Atlanta, Georgia construction lawyer who focuses on Georgia home construction defects, I am well aware that an improperly installed roof can quickly compromise the total structure of the building it was meant to protect. A sound roof is similar to a solid foundation; a sound roofing system will shield a home from the elements and prevent water damage, energy loss and insect and animal infestations. This is aside from the direct, more open and obvious damages an improper roof can cause.
Quite often in the case of roofing, out of sight is out of mind. It is easy to overlook hard to reach parts of a house and multi-story structures and roof slopes can make self-inspection difficult. It is well worth the money spent to have your roof properly and thoroughly checked for Georgia roofing construction defects that can cause deterioration and damage. This is true even though a roofing professional needs to be hired to perform this task.
Some roofing deterioration is a part of age, but other conditions are a result of poor workmanship and cost cutting by installers. Whenever hiring a roofing company, it is best to personally oversee any roofing work that is done. But many times this is not possible, especially when purchasing an older home that has just been re-roofed, or a new home several months after construction is complete. Once a roofing defect is suspected, it is important to retain an Atlanta, Georgia Construction Defect Attorney to help recover damages.
• Decking – This is the base, into which shingles are nailed. In newer homes plywood is the most common decking material.
• Shingles – Improperly installed or sub-standard shingles will deteriorate more rapidly and shorten the life of your roof. Shingles come in many types, including asphalt, wood, metal and clay. Asphalt shingles are the most economical and common type. Bald spots on asphalt shingles indicate a loss of granules and, if the roof is newer, can indicate poor shingle quality.
• Roof Vents and Soffits – When venting is sufficient, it prolongs the life of the roof by removing heat and moisture from the attic. Improperly installed, or insufficient venting, can cause excessive energy usage (to cool and heat the home) and be the source of structural damage, such as deck warping, and mold/mildew. In cold climates during the winter, heat buildup in the attic can lead to the formation of ice dams on the roof that cause leaking.
• Flashing – Flashing, when installed properly, will stop water from entering the home around vent pipes, chimneys, skylights and where the roof might meet an exterior wall surface.
• Gutters and eaves troughs – These systems carry water off the roof and away from the foundation. A poorly designed drainage system on a pitched roof will not usually cause leaks, but can damage the home’s foundation. For flat roofs, improperly designed drainage will eventually compromise the roofing material and cause leaks.
Georgia homeowners have legal recourse under Georgia construction law and Georgia real estate law when faced with damage caused by an improperly installed roofing system. The Atlanta, Georgia building lawyers at The Libby Law Firm are available to help identify the source of the defect and the responsible party. Call us today to discuss how we can help you protect one of your most valuable assets, your home. You can reach us at (404) 467-8611. The Firm’s Main Office is located in the historic Buckhead Section of Atlanta. We also have a second office located in Marietta, near the intersection of Paper Mill Road and Johnson Ferry Road. You can reach us at the Cobb County, Marietta Law Office by calling (770) 952-1008. You may also send us a message via our confidential “Contact Us” form located on our website.
Our Firm handles construction matters all over North Georgia. Some of the counties and cities where we handle Georgia home construction defect problems include Sandy Springs, Buckhead, Fulton County, Gwinnett County, Duluth, Lawrenceville, Forsyth County, Cumming, Cobb County, Acworth, Kennesaw or Marietta, DeKalb County, Decatur. In these counties and cities, and other North Georgia areas, we can assist you with Georgia roofing, foundation, and other Georgia home construction defects, problems, and related issues. Our Firm uses a variety of legal means and venues to provide you with legal relief including, mediation, arbitration, and aggressive Georgia construction litigation.